No more pictures, ever.
Maybe not ever. I think I must need a power converter (if you know the quote I'm thinking of RIGHT NOW, put it in the comments section) for my digital camera charger. On top of the adaptor! Sigh. So I need to get one here or borrow one in Oxford. But that means, of course, that there probably won't be any more pictures for Bath. It's kind of disappointing, but that's the way it crumbles, cookie-wise.
Last night, I went to the Fish and Chips Take-Away place again. As I was coming out, two homeless men stopped me and asked for money. Okay, so I normally don't give money to homeless people. It's not really a policy-- it really depends on the situation and on who's asking-- but I don't do it. I can't give money to everyone, for one thing. For another, I support the perhaps somewhat WASP-y argument that everyone has the ability to draw themselves up by their bootstraps, etc. It may get harder, but it's possible. Even if I'm privileged enough to be at a rich and exclusive university, I've worked hard to get there, continue to work hard, and have had at least four different jobs in the last two years to supplement my income. I'm willing to help homeless people-- I don't want the United States (or the world) to have poverty and people on the streets. But giving my money that I worked for to homeless individuals-- beggars-- doesn't work for me. I'd rather pay the government in taxes to support homeless shelters, employment programs, etc. It's not a topic I feel entirely easy about, because I do tend to be a little hypocritical about it. It's still something I'm trying to figure out for myself, but there are some basics. Anyone want to shed light on the situation, or debate it, or talk about their own views on the subject? So anyway, I wouldn't normally have given these men any money, but when you're on an empty street at dusk and two grown men approach you-- I wasn't terribly scared, but I was not comfortable. The man played some psychological games by standing only a few feet away from me-- anyway, I gave him twenty pence (only 40 cents or so), keeping my purse angled away from him. He sort of grumbled under his breath when I gave it to him.
I was so angry at myself for even giving that to him. What claim did that man have to my money? None. I like to give money to street performers here, because I am paying for a service rendered-- they create beauty, wonderful music, and I show my appreciation. I can give money based on pity. But this man only got money based on fear tactics. I should have said no and walked away.
So that was my angry moment of the night. I was angry at him and at myself, for doing what I did and for night feeling entirely comfortable on the subject of giving to the homeless and to beggars.
I slept in again this morning. It was raining lightly when I came into the city centre. I'm not sure what the weather is like right now. I'll definitely make it to Royal Victoria Park, and we'll see about the hills. As I mentioned, no pictures, unfortunately. So will pass my last day in Bath. Tomorrow I take a train to Alton, and visit Chawton. Saturday and Sunday I will just walk around Alton-- there isn't much to do, I think, but I have to go to Chawton on Friday because it isn't open on weekends. So this is probably my last update until Monday, when I'll be in Oxford. I won't really have internet access until then, unless I go to an internet cafe. We'll see.


1 Comments:
Haha. :-)
So tired. And Alton sucks. I'll have entries about it on Monday or Tuesday.
Post a Comment
<< Home